Monday, March 23, 2009

Adventures in gasoline!

Last night was so much fun! After adding an extra 20 miles to our return trip from Rochester (to give someone else a ride home), we ran out of gasoline after just getting back on the highway - a mere 8 miles from home! We had been to a baptism, so Todd was in his suit, and I was in a skirt. I'm sure we looked quite hilarious pushing the car for 30 yards or so before deciding to ditch the car and start on our way to town. We didn't make it very far before a semi pulled over and a wonderful young man (22 yrs) named Matt stopped and gave us a lift into town.

Of course, as we were lumbering out of the super tall cab, our 15 year old neighbor from across the street just happened to be at the gas station watching us. He and his friends had room for one extra passenger, but we declined and started for home. I was having an absolute ball with our little adventure, but Todd didn't seem quite as amused by the situation. I mean - I got to see the inside of a rig, it wasn't too cold, I didn't fall down in the mud, I got to walk hand-in-hand with my hubby for a few miles, what's not to love? We got Matt's e-mail address and sent off an iTunes gift card as a thank you for his help. It's so nice to know that there are still good Samaritans out there!

All of this is infinitely more hilarious when you realize that we had discussed more than once on Saturday the need to get gas in the van for the trip to Rochester on Sunday. I even went out to the van and checked the gas gauge. I was sure we had enough gas to get to Rochester and back (and we did - before the extra stops!), but we were going to put gas in regardless- then just never quite followed through. Oh well - we made it home safe and sound, and we gave the town something to talk about, to boot! I love it when life throws you little curve balls that only serve to make you more grateful for all you have. Isn't life grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment